Wednesday, October 27, 2010

BG2 Redux

In Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age related news, the Baldur's Gate 2 Redux mod has been released, and is available on DA Nexus and the Bioware Social Network.

I've been looking forward to this mod since about the time I bought the BG 4-in-1 box, and to be honest, I thought I would have actually finished BG1 by the time it came out. I had been following its progress on their forum and I've been occasionally searching for updated video previews on Youtube beyond the two that had been there for a while, but nothing had indicated that they were still making progress. I don't even recall hearing Mikemike37 dropping any hints as to its imminent release on the Dragon Age Podcast.

So I'm pleasantly surprised to find it available now. Even though I knew they were shooting solely for recreating Irenicus' dungeon in this mod, I was expecting a longer wait.

It does not, as was previously planned, require you to convert the voice files from your own Baldur's Gate 2 installation, though they say that future installments will have this requirement.

My brief preview of BG2 only included the first few rooms, and I understand the dungeon is much larger than that, so I think I'll have to hold off on playing the mod until I've gone through the original version. I'll just have to pause in my BG1 progress and play through the BG2 starting area before returning to BG1.

I'm disappointed to read that traps have been removed from the release due to problems, however. I hope that by the time I get to play it, they'll have restored them.

There is another full Baldur's Gate post written, but I need to add appropriate illustrations before posting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment